- Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience from day one.
- Among the university’s Student Government Association Clubs, Hofstra Filmmakers Club and Hofstra Entertainment Access Television Network have the highest membership.
- Student coverage on WRHU-88.7 has included NHL playoffs games broadcast on ESPN and WFAN, as well as New York Cosmos and Long Island Ducks baseball games, and special sporting events such as the Belmont Stakes, National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, and The Barclays PGA Tournament.
- The Hofstra Chronicle won “Best Student Newspaper,” in 2015 from the Press Club of Long Island.
- Zeta Phi Eta, National Professional Fraternity in Communication Arts and Sciences, will host its national conference at Hofstra this October. In 2012, Hofstra’s Public Relations Student Society of America was one of a handful of chapters selected to host a national conference.
- In 2012, Hofstra University’s Association of Black Journalists became an official chapter of the national organization.
- Long Island Report, a student-run multimedia news organization, won “Best Website” in 2012 from the Press Club of Long Island.
Herbert School students have received national awards and scholarships, presented at prestigious conferences, and participated in competitive programs. In recent years, our students have been recognized by many of the following organizations:
- Cannes American Pavilion’s Emerging Filmmaker Showcase
- Carnegie-Knight News21 Initiative
- Eastern Communication Association
- Alliance for Women in Media
- Harlem International Film Festival
- International Journal of Arts and Sciences
- Langston Hughes Film Festival
- New York State Associated Press Association
- New York Women in Communications Scholarships
- Online News Association
- Politico Journalism Institute
- Portland Film Festival Official Selection
- Press Club of Long Island
- Public Relations Professionals of Long Island
- Radio Television Digital News Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Sportscasters Talent Agency of America
- Telluride Film Festival Student Symposium
- The College Television Awards
- The Society for Cinema and Media Studies
- Women’s Press Club of New York State
School of Communication students have the unique opportunity to intern throughout the year with some of the biggest names in the media and communications industry. Here is a short list of places our students are currently interning:
Brian Lehrer Show
Fox News Channel
Island Def Jam
New York Islanders
New York Mets
New York Post
New York Stock Exchange
News 12 Long Island
Rachael Ray Show
Saturday Night Live
The Fresh Air Fund
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Wall Street Journal
Zimmerman/EdelsonA Network of Success
Hofstra alumni are part of a network of successful industry professionals. Across the country, our graduates are applying what they learned at Hofstra to achieve rewarding careers and shape the future of communications.
Our alumni engage regularly with the school – returning to campus to speak with students, providing internship and career opportunities, and supporting the school financially.