Emerging Voices Scholarship
Alliance for Women in Media Foundation & Ford Motor Company Fund
2014 “Emerging Voices” Scholarship Program Information & Application
Application Deadline: April 30, 2014
The Alliance for Women in Media Foundation (AWMF) and Ford Motor Company Fund are looking to identify two promising female undergraduate or graduate students to provide future journalistic content for AWM. The two students chosen are required to attend AWMF’s Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 11, 2014 in New York, NY, where they will be presented with their scholarships.
AWM leverages the promise, passion and power of women in all forms of media and is the longest-established professional association dedicated to advancing women in media and entertainment. The Alliance for Women in Media Foundation supports and promotes educational programs, charitable activities, public service campaigns and scholarships to benefit the public, the electronic media and allied fields. The AWM Foundation has partnered with Ford Motor Company Fund for more than nine years.
The “Emerging Voices” Scholarship program consists of two $2,500 scholarships, made payable directly to each student’s educational institute in the name of Ford Motor Company Fund. The winning students will provide journalistic content for AWM’s website based on assigned topics or prompts. The winners must also be able to attend AWM’s Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 11, 2014 in New York, NY. Female undergraduate and graduate students studying media, journalism, English, communications and related fields are encouraged to apply.
Scholarship Deliverables: Each winning student will produce three to four separate pieces of content for AWM between June 15, 2014 and October 15, 2014. One of these pieces must be written about the student’s experience attending the Gracie Awards Luncheon.
Submission Requirements: Please submit two writing samples, each 300-500 words in length:
1. Your first writing sample should be about the subject of your choice. We recommend that this sample showcase your writing style and your ability to engage an audience on a blog or website. This may be a sample that was previously created for a class, blog or other publication.
2. Your second writing sample must be based on one of the following prompts: What is your current media obsession? OR
If your life was a TV show, what kind of show would it be? Send us a “pitch” for the show (can be any genre, time period, casting, etc).
You must be a full-time, female undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited college or university. Please include with your submission the following information in its entirety:
• College or University and Expected Year of Graduation
• Contact Information (mailing address, phone, email)
• Copy of current student ID or other proof of enrollment
• Two writing samples, as outlined above
• A letter of recommendation from a professor or journalism/media/communications professional
Prize: AWMF and the Ford Motor Company Fund will select two student winners to receive $2,500 each, payable to the winning students’ educational institutions. Each scholarship recipient is required to attend AWMF’s Gracie Awards Luncheon on June 11, 2014 in order to receive her scholarship. AWMF will provide to each winner: One VIP ticket to the AWM Gracies Luncheon (June 11, 2014) in New York City to attend the event. By submitting this application, you consent to pay any necessary travel/airfare and accommodations to attend the Luncheon. AWMF will award $1,500 upon the execution of a scholarship agreement and the remainder will be awarded upon receipt of the final written content due by October 15, 2014.
Selection: The two writing samples and recommendation, along with any additional collateral, are due April 30, 2014. A panel consisting of representatives from AWMF and Ford Motor Company Fund will choose the two winning students. The winning students will be notified by early May, with content production to begin by June 15, 2014.
• The winning students’ content will be posted on the AWM web site.
• The content will be prominently distributed and displayed on AWM’s social media outlets.
• Determinations of appropriateness will be made in the sole discretion of AWM and Ford Motor Company Fund.
Materials can be submitted to Yacine Sow at AWMF at firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at 703-506-3266.
Please call 703-506-3290 with questions.