PR Associate – Temporary Position
The Public Relations function is a major contributor to marketing and institutional reputation at Mercer. The group generates awareness of Mercer’s higher value-added consulting services and undertakes initiatives to increase the visibility of Mercer global consulting leaders associated with those businesses.
Positive third-party commentary on our intellectual capital, together with quotes from our professionals, is a powerful marketing tool. Ensuring the media publish our messages fairly and accurately is a skilled and demanding job.
The public relations function is responsible for coordinating the media relations effort which involves a proactive program of activity to:
• Promote a positive reputation for Mercer in the marketplace
• Demonstrate our market leadership in terms of global reach, quality of service and ability to meet client needs
• Illustrate our thought leadership to clients and influencers
• Provide opportunities for new business
Your first step in a career in public relations is with a three to four month contract assignment in our New York-based public relations department. In this role, you will work primarily with a four-person US professional team, but also with public relations professionals based in London, Hong Kong and Melbourne.
• Write press releases, media advisories, and help the group respond to press inquiries.
• Interact with print, broadcast and Internet media to place stories and handle inquiries.
• Responsibility for web-based press release distribution and reporting system as well as other administrative duties.
• A bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English, or a related major. (Those taking a gap year before graduation will be considered.)
• Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
• Availability to work for a four-month period beginning in mid-July 2014
• Strong grammar, composition knowledge and editing skills
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to work in a team-oriented business environment
• Ability to handle multiple projects
• Excellent communications skills
• Intellectual curiosity, interest, energy and drive
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please note that at this time, the Company does not intend to sponsor work visas with respect to these positions or to provide these positions as OPT or CPT.
This position is New York-based.
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, pension and 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
E-mail resume and letter to Charles Salmans, global head of public relations:
Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth and performance of their most vital asset – their people. Mercer’s 20,000 employees are based in more than 40 countries. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas, love solving problems and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the hundreds of job opportunities available through Mercer. Our core strengths place Mercer in a unique position to help our clients achieve the extraordinary – and extraordinary results require extraordinary people. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital.